Friday, February 8, 2008

Logo #180: Primal Scream

Painted by Paul Cannell for the band's "Scream adelica" album in 1991. Cannell (born March 16, 1963) died in 2005 in Cornwall after a lengthy or short battle with depression, one never really truly knows which. In an interview, he discussed being bored with virtuosity: "You've got to know how to draw; you've got to have control of your fucking hand. All this work that you see here is done with the other hand - it's not even done with my natural hand. I changed my hands about three-and-a-half years ago because I was sick of what my left hand was doing. I like drawing with my right hand because it's messy, it's like a kid. It's clumsy. All this clumsy work you're seeing here, that's why it's clumsy. That's the only way I've been able to build abstraction. I was getting too dangerously technical with this arm." Similarly, Picasso remarked, "It took me four years to paint like Raphael, but a lifetime to paint like a child." The primal scream. Likewise, there's the Oblique Strategy that one should "Allow an easement (an easement is the abandonment of a stricture)." Occasionally, this means abandoning the sun itself. Hence the death of Paul Cannell, painter for Creation. And yet the sun keeps shining.

1 comment:

BlogAwards said...

David: Congrats! Your blog has been chosen as today's Blog of the Day at BlogAwards.com. BlogAwards.com is a newly launched website honoring the brightest and the best in the blogosphere. You can see your feature on our home page at http://blogawards.com. Congratulations again!

Maureen Reynolds
BlogAwards.com